Friday, December 30, 2011

Final Blog Post

In the final two weeks before the performance of "Fear Not Factor," the students of Hardin Baptist Church made their final preparations. In the last couple of rehearsals, I mostly worked with those children with speaking parts as they fixed the last few problem areas. During these rehearsals the students seemed eager for showtime, but they were also very distracted from the task at hand. Many times the other director and I put more effort toward classroom management than actually reviewing and rehearsing lines. However, instead of wishing I would never be teaching in an elementary school, the experience allowed me to come to the realization that I would love to direct a children's choir.
When the day of the show finally arrived, the young actors were both nervous and anxious to be on stage. We held one final dress rehearsal in the hours before the show and all of the children were working so hard to remember every line and every note. I watched and directed as each of the performers fidgeted with their costumes as they waited their turn to proudly say their lines on a "real" stage.
Showtime finally arrived, and the children were ushered backstage as an audience full of proud parents walked in. I looked around at the sanctuary full of people and the sets on stage and was reminded of the shows I was involved in when I was a young child. I remembered the feelings of anticipation and excitement right before show time and searching the audience for my parents while I was saying my lines or singing my song. For this show I took my place on the floor right in front of the stage where the soloists could clearly see me as I mouthed the words with them. As the show progressed, I found myself thinking of how proud I was of each and every child on that stage. The children gradually became more confident and more assertive with their individual characters and with their lines. I could see that they were thoroughly enjoying themselves, and immediately after the show they ran to their parents to show off their costumes and take pictures. Each of the students had worked so hard for months, and their hard work definitely payed off. I was delighted to think that I had been a part of something so rewarding.
If I had to do this project over again, I would spend more time with the individual performers and soloists. I would work with the ensemble on the music itself, and I would teach a small ensemble the harmony parts. I also wish that I had more time to do all of these things, as I took on several projects this semester. I am glad for the time that I did spend directing the ensembles and teaching the soloists, but I also would have liked to excert more leadership with this show, especially with the music itself. Due to the fact that I didn't have as much time to spend at rehearsals, the other two directors were the main leaders for the students. However, I am satisfied with the show, and I am proud of each and every student. Below is a picture of the set directly after the performance of "Fear Not Factor."

No comments:

Post a Comment